Re: [802.21] FW: [HOKEY] Meeting Agenda

I think that the following part needs discussion within HOKEY WG:

>  - begin work on preauth (-00 for protocol due by September)

If HOKEY WG is going to work on a pre-authentication protocol, 802.21
may just use it.

However, applicability of HOKEY pre-authentication is limited as HOKEY
WG charter (http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/hokey-charter.html)
says:

  All the specifications will be EAP-method-independent manner and
  access-technology-agnostic.  EAP re-authentication and EAP pre-
  authentication authenticator are expected to use the same layer and
  the same protocol as the original EAP authentication used for the
  authenticator.

This charter does not allow inter-technology pre-authentication, e.g.,
between 802.11i and 802.16e.  The reason for this limitation is that
security AD has a concern on authenticator discovery and context
binding (these issues are described in Section 4 of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ohba-preauth-ps-01.txt).
Considering this limitation, HOKEY pre-authentication may not be
usable for 802.21 purpose unless HOKEY WG revises its charter to
remove the limitation.

In any case, I'll discuss with HOKEY people on this before and during
IETF69 in Chicago.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba