FW: [STDS-802-16] Outcome of special meeting of WP8F on new IMT-2000 radio interface

fyi

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger B. Marks [mailto:r.b.marks@IEEE.ORG]
Sent: Friday, September 07, 2007 2:41 PM
To: STDS-802-16@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [STDS-802-16] Outcome of special meeting of WP8F on new
IMT-2000 radio interface

As I previously mentioned:
  <http://wirelessman.org/arc/802-16list2/msg04323.html>
  <http://wirelessman.org/arc/802-16list2/msg04353.html>

ITU-R Working Party 8F had a "special meeting" in Seoul last week to
"Complete Consensus on the Addition of a New IMT-2000 Radio
Interface." This "IMT-2000 OFDMA TDD WMAN" radio interface is based
on IEEE Std 802.16. We were informed of the meeting:
  <http://ieee802.org/16/liaison/docs/L80216-07_046r1.pdf>.
and we prepared a response that was submitted by IEEE:
  <http://ieee802.org/16/liaison/docs/L80216-07_049r2.pdf>.

I attended the meeting and would like to provide a brief report.

The meeting was large and busy: about 150 people (including many
802.16 WG members) and about 50 input documents. It ran for three
days, including over lunchtimes and into the evening.

The meeting had been tasked to further develop the draft revisions of
ITU-R Rec. M.1457, M.1580, and M.1581. According to the decision of
Study Group 8, the new versions "would be provided to the Chairman of
Study Group 8 for forwarding directly to the Radiocommunication
Assembly 2007" (15-19 October). Alternative arrangements were
provided in case no further progress toward consensus could be achieved.

According to these terms, I consider the meeting to have been
successful. Revisions of all three documents were agreed for
submission to the Study Group 8 Chairman. The only change to the
normative content of the draft M.1457 revision was to add some
additional language regarding the upper limit of MS power in the
2500-2690 MHz band. In addition, the "members's statements" attached
to the earlier draft revision of M.1457 were deleted.

This is good news for IEEE 802.16. I'll keep you posted regarding
this issue at the Radiocommunication Assembly.

Thanks to the 802.16 members and friends who participated in Seoul
and supported our contributions.

Cheers!
Roger