[802.21] Candidacy for Vice-Chair position

Dear Colleagues,

As we approach the final phase of Sponsor Ballot, there is no doubt that
IEEE 802.21 has, through a great deal of hard work and sacrifice, come a
long way. I am proud to have played a role in the group’s past
accomplishments and I wish to play an even greater role in the group’s
future success. Therefore, I am seeking your support and announcing my
candidacy for the IEEE 802.21 Vice-Chair position.

I have been an active and vocal member of the WG since its inception. In
addition to making significant technical contributions, I have also
taken a leadership role in building consensus, resolving comments and
working through issues to drive our work forward and improve the quality
of our standard.

With nearly 10 years of standards experience and more than 17 years of
industry and academic experience in the area of Wireless IP networking,
I believe I have the necessary background to be successful in the
Vice-Chair role.

I would like to take the opportunity to present the high level goals
that I see are critical for the success of 802.21 in the coming years.

First and foremost we need to work very hard in the short term to
resolve our outstanding issues and move our base specification forward.
In addition, new task groups and study groups essential for 802.21
adoption need to be created. I actively worked with both the WG and SG
chairs and with 802.21 members to create our existing SG’s, and I will
continue my commitment to their success.

Due to the very nature of Media Independent Handover, we need to work
effectively with other SDOs. We have existing liaisons with 802.11,
802.16 and IETF while interactions with the 3G standards occur at the
individual company level. We definitely need to continue our strong
relationships with these bodies. Through my many years of IETF
participation and as an active member of the design team of the IETF
MIPSHOP WG, I have collaborated with other 802.21 members to
successfully introduce into the IETF higher-layer discovery, transport
and security items that are essential for 802.21 adoption. In addition,
I have also been very active in 3GPP SA2 and have worked with several
other companies to introduce 802.21 Information Service concepts through
work items related to Network Discovery and Selection. I am committed to
continuing our relationships with outside SDOs and to helping 802.21 WG
members participate in 3GPP standards.

We will also need to work closely with the operator community to better
understand their needs for adopting and deploying 802.21 technologies. I
will continue to actively seek input from and build relationships with
representatives from operator companies to discuss the role that 802.21
can play in their future network and service plans.

To summarize, as your Vice-Chair, I will work to accomplish the following:

-- Help Chair and WG members resolve all Sponsor Ballot comments as soon
as possible to move the base specification forward.

-- Help WG and prospective Study Group Chairs to create new Task Groups.
Also encourage and motivate WG members to propose new technical areas
and new work items.

-- Advocate 802.21 concepts and technology to other Standards and
industry alliances (e.g., FMCA, DVB). I will strive to develop
meaningful and constructive relationships within and outside the WG to
obtain such successes.

-- Contribute to MIH-related efforts within IETF MIPSHOP WG.

-- Strive to foster excellent teaming, open communication and consensus
building within the WG by treating all working group members with
respect. Ensure that individuals and companies have the opportunity to
present and participate in the WG so that their ideas are heard.

As I look back during the last few years, I realize that we have made
significant progresses but that we also face significant challenges
ahead. I am confident that we can take 802.21 to the next level and see
our vision for media independent handover realized.

I am eager to hear your thoughts, ideas and suggestions so that we can
work together to reach our goal.

Thanks for your time in reading such a long mail and have a nice weekend,

Best regards,

Subir Das