RE: [802.21] PAR for Security related Amendments

From: Michael.G.Williams@nokia.com [mailto:Michael.G.Williams@nokia.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:13 AM
Subject: RE: [802.21] PAR for Security related Amendments

Hi Again Vivek,

To paraphrase, the reason given for sticking with the amendment based approach is because we have been taking that approach in the past.

[VG] There is no past here. This approach was taken because the Security SG recommended it as way forward.

The Security SG did discuss this aspect, as to whether this is a new project or an amendment, and the conclusion so far has been that this is an amendment.

Did we take that approach in the past because there is something about that approach that is better suited to the technology involved? If there is nothing inherent in the amendment approach that is essential to this work, then why not use the correct process from where we are today, given that we have 'discovered' a good reason to change.

As we have all heard, the job of an SG is to create the PAR and not to go into solution space. We have been criticizing people for going into solution space during the SG. This is for a good reason... because the PAR may not be approved, so the work towards a solution then is not useful.

Let's revise the decision.  Instead of waiting for the base document to be finished before submitting the SSG PAR,  let's push ahead now for the approval of the SSG PAR based on the process you outlined below. This way the SSG member's work will have legitimacy and will no doubt be working towards a standard. Also, it will shorten the schedule for the SSG considerably. Waiting for approval of the base spec, possibly requesting additional PAR extensions for the SSG, then adding the 4 years onto that delay (based on the SG's internal estimate of completion) pushes the solution's availability significantly further out.

[VG] I am not sure what you are suggesting here.

The Security work has been considered as an integral part of base specification and is hence recommended as an amendment to base specification.

Any further discussion on this would need to take place as part of the Security SG in March.

We all care about the progress of the SSG, and if the solution you outlined below can be made to work, it's a better choice than waiting.

[VG] That approach was suggested by Bob Grow in past , but Paul suggested if we are so close to approving the base spec, then filing the PAR amendment in July is a good way forward.

Kind Regards

-Vivek