Fwd: Re: [802-11WG] untestable PICS items

Date:         Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:54:12 -0400
Sender: ***** IEEE stds-802-11 List ***** <STDS-802-11@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
From: David Cypher <david.cypher@nist.gov>
Subject: Re: [802-11WG] untestable PICS items
To: STDS-802-11@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 Working Group Reflector --- This whole discussion of PICS and PICS Proforma just begs and screams for a consistent understanding within the IEEE 802 and not just one working group's interpretation by individuals forced on another working group at letter ballot time.

It is time that these individuals who want tell others what a PICS and PICS Proforma are do so using authoritative documents on the subject of PICS and PICS Proforma creation and not be based on person ideas.

I, myself, heard three interpretations during last week's meetings.  It indicates to me that there is a lot of misconception and misunderstanding due to copying from previous PICS and PICS Proformas instead of basing a PICS Proforma on the "Standard" Methodology and Framework documentation.

For example,
  There is no IEEE 802 requirement that a standard contain a PICS Proforma and is there for not a valid reason for a NO vote for a standard not containing one.
  These is no IEEE 802 that mandates a PICS Proforma question for every "Shall" or "may"
  There is no requirement that every PICS Proforma question be testable.  As Bob O'Hara stated.

Sounds like a good time for a Plenary Tutorial on such matters.  Provided everyone is willing to learn and go forward with knowledge and stop arguing for the sack of personal positions.

David Cypher
P.S.   By the way just because one cannot determine how to test something, does not mean someone else cannot determine how.  The example used can be tested.  How is my IP.