[Fwd: Re: [FW: Security TG teleconference schedule]]

Let me forward some technical answers from Sumanta, an author of 21-09-0065.
I also sent him today's teleconf information so that he can join in and explain.

Yoshihiro Ohba

--- Begin Message ---
Hello Yoshihiro,

In the IEEE mentor database (https://mentor.ieee.org/802.21/documents?is_group=0sec), I couldn't find any details about the teleconf (such as phone numbers etc.). Therefore, I am sharing my answers to the questions below with you with the expectation that you will be able to share then with the working group during the meeting.

> - How message authentication based on short-term certificate generated
> from long-term certificate (i.e., your scheme) is different from
> message authentication based on an establishing SA with generating
> shor-term symmetric key?

There are couple major differences:
- Short-term certificate may be used for multiple connections with different
PoAs, as long as the certificate is valid. Short-term symmetric key would always
be used for a single connection.
- In our scheme there is no need to establish explicit SA between PoA and the
MN. Trust relationships are: CA1 (certificate authority) - MN (user), CA1 -
PoA.
And in a case of multiple operators: CA1 - MN, CA2 - PoA, CA1 - CA2.

This makes our scheme more lightweight, changing PoA does not require
establishment of a new explicit SA.

> - Providing confidentiality is a functional requirement for 802.21a
> according to the 802.21a Technical Report.

As the network layer protocol used for this scheme (PLA) is integrity
protected, therefore diffie hellman parameters can be easily exchanged
during the first few PLA packet exchange and thus a symmetric key can be
established when there is a need for confidentiality.

> - In multi-operator case, sharing credentials between old and new
> PoAs, seems to have a security issue.

Our proposed scheme is based on public key cryptography. Therefore, PoAs do not
need to exchange shared secrets. It is enough that PoAs trust in their own
certificate authority (and for increased efficiency certificate authorities of
nearby operators). The PoA can verify a message arriving from another PoA by:
- Verifying the signature
- Verifying that the sender-PoA has been authorized by a trusted CA. This
authorization can also be indirect, in which case the sender-PoA would need to
attach the complete certificate chain to the message (e.g., CA -> X -> Y ->
PoA)

Additionally, if you require a further explanation of the features of the solution
we will be happy to share a more detailed document about this idea as well as a
detailed document describing PLA. Please let me know if any further information is required.

Best regards,
Sumanta Saha

> In the teleconference, you are expected to address the issues /
> questions raised on your proposal during May meeting, such as:
>
> - How message authentication based on short-term certificate generated
> from long-term certificate (i.e., your scheme) is different from
> message authentication based on an establishing SA with generating
> shor-term symmetric key?
>
> - Providing confidentiality is a functional requirement for 802.21a
> according to the 802.21a Technical Report.
>
> - In multi-operator case, sharing credentials between old and new
> PoAs, seems to have a security issue.
>
> Regards,
> Yoshihiro Ohba
>

> On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 11:42:29PM -0700, Sumanta wrote:
> >
> > Hello Yoshihiro,
> >
> > Hopefully, I will be able to join the teleconf. Looking forward to it. Please
> let me know the details.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Sumanta Saha

--- End Message ---