From: Daniel Corujo [mailto:dcorujo@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:48 AM
To: STDS-802-21@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [STDS-802-21] IEEE 802.21d discussion, Security Requirements

Hello everyone,

Just to present myself to the ones who don't know me here in the reflector. I am Daniel Corujo, from the Telecommunications Institute of the University of Aveiro, Portugal. I have been collaborating with Antonio on the multicast requirements. Some of you may remember me personally from the Interoperability Event Plugtest in October 2009, in Sophia Antipolis, France, where I presented ODTONE, our open-source multi-operating system 802.21 implementation.

Regarding the security requirements, I also agree with Antonio and Stephen's view, with the focus on PoS authentication, possibly reusing the authentication features proposed in 802.21a. Regarding encryption, it does sound appealing to have the ability to ensure that mis-behaving MN's are cut-off from the MIH signaling exchange by having key-renegotiation mechanisms. However, malicious nodes impersonating a PoS can create a DoS by constantly forcing the renegotiation of the key, despite achieving this through multicast signaling or not. It is probably a bad example, but it illustrates well the problem.

What we could probably try to consider, was the feasibility of extending/enhancing some of the authentication mechanisms existing in 802.21a, by making them able to be executed via multicast signaling in 802.21d.

Daniel Corujo

dcorujo@xxxxxxxx
http://re.vu/dcorujo