FW: [802-ARCH] Definition of provider bridging

FYI..

Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 5:29 PM
To: STDS-802-ARCH@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [802-ARCH] Definition of provider bridging

IEEE 802 Architecture list, hosted by 802.1:
  See www.ieee802.org/1/email-pages/foir1011.html
    or email hdk-veuuft@xxxxxxxxxx for help.
  Archive: www.ieee802.org/1/private/emaila/
-----

All

We have an editorial comment in the draft requesting that we add a definition for provider bridging.  My suggestion is to add the following
definition:

provider bridging: A network using that uses Provider Bridges to offer customer protocol transparent connectivity. See: IEEE 802.1Q-2011."

For reference, 802.Q-2011 defines the following (among other terms)

3.138 Provider Bridge: An S-VLAN Bridge or a Provider Edge Bridge.

3.139 Provider Bridged Network: A network using Provider Bridges to offer customer protocol transparent connectivity.

3.140 Provider Edge Bridge: A system comprising a single S-VLAN component and one or more CVLAN components implemented in accordance with Clause 5 of IEEE Std 802.1Q.

Opinions?

James Gilb

===
Unsubscribe link: mailto:STDS-802-ARCH-SIGNOFF-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IEEE. Fostering technological innovation and excellence for the benefit of humanity.