stds-802-handoff: 802 Handoff ECSG, Meeting Activity in Albuquerque

802 Handoff Participants,

Since we have a PAR and 5 Criteria proposal, we have a specific
timetable for the Albuquerque session that is meeting from November 9th
through November the 14th.

I present the PAR and supporting material to the opening Plenary on
Monday 11.00am-12.00am in summary form. The documents are forwarded to
the working groups for review. They are expected to provide responsed in
written form no later than Tuesday 5.00pm. We are required to respond
back no later than 5.00pm Wednesday.

The PAR is then addressed at the closing EC meeting on Friday
1.00-6.00pm.

There are some constraints on meeting times. Monday evening has the
tutorial sessions, including the EMS tutorial that is mandatory for
prospective chairs, editors, secretary or other officers. I am assuming
that the 1.00-3.00pm joint opening plenary will be popular.

We already have some comments that we can address, so we do not need to
wait until 5.00pm Tuesday.

Accordingly, I will be seeking the following meeting times from the
event organizers:
	Tuesday 1.00pm - 9.30pm (with breaks in the usual places)
	Wednesday 8.00am - 5.00pm (with breaks in the usual places)
	Thursday 8.00am - 12.00noon (For addressing real standards
development work, rather than PAR issues)

The following is the relevant part of the LMSC rules..

"2. Submit proposed PAR and, if applicable, responses to the five
criteria per 6.0 below to
LMSC Executive Committee for approval prior to sending outside of LMSC.
(Approval is contingent on inclusion of responses describing how the
proposed PAR meets
the five criteria and a work plan for the development of managed object
definitions, either as
part of the PAR or as a part of an additional PAR. PARs which introduce
no new
functionality are exempt from the requirement to provide responses to
the 5 Criteria.
Examples of such PARs are::Protocol Implementation Conformance
Statements (PICS),
Managed Object Conformance Statements (MOCS), PARs to correct errors and
PARs to
consolidate documents.)
Complete PARs shall be delivered to all Executive Committee members not
less than 30 days
prior to the day of the Opening Executive Committee meeting of an LMSC
Plenary session. At
the discretion of the LMSC Chair, PARs for ordinary items (like
Maintenance PARs) and PAR
changes essential to the orderly conduct of business (like division of
existing work items or name
changes to harmonize with equivalent ISO JTC-1 work items) may be placed
on the Executive
Committee agenda if delivered to Executive Committee members 48 hours in
advance.
Delivery may be assumed if sent by either FAX or e-mail one full working
day prior to the
deadline, or if sent by express delivery service with guaranteed
delivery one working day prior to
the deadline, or if sent by US Mail, or Air Mail ten working days prior
to the deadline. All PARs
must be accompanied by supporting documentation which must include at
least:
Explanatory technical background material
Expository remarks on the status of the development of the PAR, e.g.,
approved by WG, Draft
pending Working Group approval at next meeting, etc.
3. In order to ensure wide consideration by the 802 members, PARs for
significant new work
(those that will result in a new Standard/Recommended Practice/Guideline
or an addition to an
existing one) must pass through the following process during the Plenary
session week in which
Executive Committee approval is sought:

The PAR must be presented in summary at the opening Plenary meeting to
the general 802
membership. Supporting material must be available in sufficient detail
for members of other
Working Groups to understand if they have an interest in the proposed
PAR, i.e., if they
would like to contribute/participate in the proposed work, or identify
if there is conflict with
existing or anticipated work in their current Working Group. It is
highly recommended that a
tutorial be given at a previous Plenary session for major new work
items.
Working Groups, other than the proposing Working Group, must express
concerns to the
proposing Working Group as soon as possible and must submit written
comments to the
proposing Working Group and the Executive Committee not later than 5:00
p.m. on Tuesday.
The proposing Working Group must respond to commenting Working Groups
and to the
Executive Committee together with a Final PAR not later than 5:00 p.m.
on Wednesday. It
will be assumed that insufficient coordination and/or inter Working
Group consideration had
occurred prior to the submission of the PAR if this deadline is not met,
and the proposed
PAR will not be considered by the Executive Committee at their closing
Executive
Committee meeting.
4. Working Group Chair shall sign the copyright acknowledgment.
5. LMSC Chair shall as sponsor submit the PAR to the following:
a. Chair, CS Standards Activities Board
b. IEEE Standards Office Secretary to NESCOM
"

Regards,
DJ

David Johnston