Re: [802.3_100GCU] WebPage Updates

As happened previously, my initial thread regarding phrasing was diverted to other issues.  Here I will reset the discussion back to the form of the reach objectives.  While few have chimed in publically on form, I have received helpful correspondence privately and now have a better understanding of interpretations of the words “up to at least” and “consistent with”.

The phrase “up to at least” can be interpreted as conveying a range (from near 0 m) to X m.  Such interpretations would preclude solutions that work at X m but do not work at arbitrarily shorter distances, for example, such solutions lacking the required equalization variation or overload tolerance.  However, as is clear from my objections, I do not find this phrase to unambiguously convey that interpretation.  If what is intended within the objective is to ensure a range of reaches, then that range can and should be explicitly stated in the objective.

The phrase “consistent with” in the circuit board objective is apparently meant to allow definition based on channel loss characteristics rather than absolute length.  This is a way of separating performance from a specific implementation, so I now support its use.  However, the present word ordering seems to still introduce prescriptive implementation.  Moving the word “consistent” forward alleviates that problem.

To address these issues I would propose modifying the reach objectives as follows.

Define a 4-lane 100 Gb/s PHY for operation over links consistent with copper traces on “improved FR-4” covering a range of lengths from “W” m to at least “X” m.

Define a 4-lane 100 Gb/s PHY for operation over copper twin-axial cables covering a range of lengths from “Y” m to at least “Z” m.

Given that the circuit board solution is meant to support backplane connectivity, the interface points that define the ends of the link need to be clearly stated.  Otherwise that ambiguity can easily lead to misunderstandings about how the channel impairments are distributed between the backplane and the cards plugged into the backplane.  The outcome of such misunderstandings is lack of interoperability, which defeats the primary purpose for setting a standard.  This problem does not exist for the twin-axial cable solution because the interface is known to be at the point of interconnection to the cables.  If the circuit board reach is also similarly understood, for example, to be at the point of connection to the backplane, then it should be straight forward to make that clear.  I’d like to get some discussion on this topic.

Regards,

Paul Kolesar