From: Brad Booth [mailto:bjbooth@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 1:00 PM
To: STDS-802-3-100GCU@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_100GCU] Successful May Interim

Chris,

My concern is about the objective. There is no mention of AWG in the twinax reach objective, even though it is probably fair to assume most people based their decision on 24 AWG.

Study groups have usually spent time trying to be specific when it comes to the UTP and optical cabling in reference to the reach. In this case, it may be useful to state that the 5m reach is based upon 24 AWG, because while the industry complains about its bend radius, it may be deemed acceptable for that reach. If the TF was to adjust the reach based upon using 24 AWG or decrease the gauge, then different criteria come into play and comments/ballots can be submitted accordingly.

It has been stated repeatedly in previous SG meetings is that the objectives are a contract with the WG about the work to be performed by the TF. It may be in the SG's and WG's best interest to ensure that there is good agreement on the gauge being assumed for a 5m twinax reach.

Cheers,

Brad