From: Healey, Adam B (Adam) [Adam.Healey@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 03:32 PM Central Standard Time
To: STDS-802-3-100GCU@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_100GCU] Objective changes for the Back Plane Initiative

Colleagues,

Specifying the signaling rate implies constraints on the encoding and framing. Such degrees of freedom should be left to the Task Force to determine the solution for the application(s) to be served.

The Brown/Bhoja proposal for PAM-4 encoding and framing has a signaling rate of 13.75 Gbaud. Would this proposal not be allowed by the set of objectives worded in the form of option B? It exceeds 12.89 Gbaud.

We need to find a means to describe the properties of the two applications/channels that make them distinct without unduly constraining the solutions that would serve them.

--Adam