Re: [802.3_100GCU] Return loss waveform at TP0a and TP5a

Liav:

My suggestion is in the spirit of ILD but also includes Return Loss. The present channel model approximation is based on the transmission loss model modified to include resonance effects through the use of the ILD limits.  The same could be done for Return Loss.   The derivation of ILD is such that the detailed local frequency behavior is suppressed and doesn’t take into account holes or suck-outs (I hate that term). Theoretically, if we had a channel model that represents higher order frequency dependencies such as a pole-zero approximation with exponential transmission line characteristics, then we could account for resonances explicitly. Unfortunately, pole-zero approximations are not easily derived are sometimes unstable and although some tools do it, I am of the mind that we should stay tool agnostic.

This is why I am discussing a simpler algorithm that takes into account local frequency behavior approach.  Find the successive peaks and valleys, note the peak/valley frequencies, find the average Insertion Loss and/or Return Loss between the frequencies and compute the ratio of average vs. peak-to-peak. From a limit table, decide if the interconnect is OK.

ed

Dr. Edward P. Sayre, P. E.

North East Systems Asscoiates, Inc.

9 Maple Lane