[802.3_100GEL] straw poll on backplane objective.

Thank you for the good discussion of the straw polls.  Rather than focus on the numbers, it was my intent to focus on the form of the objective.  Therefore, I will withdraw straw poll GZ0 (15" or 18" feasibility) at this time, and would like your feedback on understanding to focus on the main choice - what form the objective should take.  Just as we are currently avoiding discussion of construction, and just as we want to avoid making decisions on PHY, packaging loss budget and other technical parts of the specification, it was my intent to stay clear of whether a backplane was printed circuit, cabled, hybrid, orthogonal, or other.  Again, whatever sense you make of a backplane with economic feasibility and broad market potential and a certain dB loss, use that sense in evaluating what a 'backplane' is here - be equal in looking at the alternatives.

Consider poll GZ1, clarified to show that we would likely pick the length for the first form, just as we would pick the dB loss of the others:

  *   I prefer an objective of the form: