Re: [802.3_100GEL] Thought on ETA_0

Hi Adam,

I agree since eta_0 has such a great impact, we need to agree what it is.

Resistor thermal noise (-174 dBm/Hz) is small.  Less than a tenth of mV contribution to sigma_n. Other receiver noise seems more debatable.

We use COM to determine how much noise the receiver should tolerate to reach say a 3 dB COM. So all the Rx noise is sort of included in the receiver interference tolerance test (RITT). It would seem that noise would need to be included in COM 3 dB budget.

I believe the discussion originally (.3bj) was to budget for system noise. It started with sigma_r and subsequently moved to sigma_n and eta_0. Since we were talking about a  budget for system noise Adee went back to his labs and reported typical LAN on motherboard system noise measurements which could only be seen outside the chips. What was missing was the PSD.

So it boils down to: Is eta_0

1.     System only noise

  1. Some type of standard receiver noise which all receivers have
  2. Or a combination

…Rich