[802.3_100GNGOPTX] Next Generation Optics - Areas to be addressed

Dear Study Group Participants,

During our wrap-up, I mentioned the need to begin work immediately on key areas to be addressed. Specifically, I provided the following;

• System PCA Reach Requirements

• Connector/MSA implications on link budget

• Un-retimed, Retimed, Both

• Multi-Mode Solution (customer requirements vs technical cost/complexity)

• Alternative Single-Mode technology (performance/cost /power/density)

• Liaisons (IC for OIF)(ITU)

• FEC (Optional, Required) (Compatibility with 802.3bj)

• Equalization

• Compatible Interface with p802.3bj

Please consider how you may contribute to the Study Group effort on one or more of these areas. If you can coordinate with others to produce a joint presentation, this would also be very helpful. Our November Plenary is likely to be a very busy meeting, so focus is very important.

As a reminder, I will emphasize that presentations should be focused on identifying an objective for the Study Group, and justifying it. Your help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Dan Dove

Chair, Next Generation 100Gb/s Optical Ethernet Study Group