Re: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] - MMF Ad Hoc - 17th Jan meeting timing

Paul

What is the basis for your statement that 100G copper is restricted to QSFP+?

Chris

On Jan 13, 2012, at 4:52 PM, "Kolesar, Paul" <PKOLESAR@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

John,

Thanks so much for this exploration, which addresses just the sort of questions that have been puzzling me.  In fact I was wishing for a good comparison to SR10 just today.  I see some good parallels to Aliâ??s work emerging.

While it is not clear to me how much support exists for FEC behind optical interfaces, it would be quite helpful if your material could address how the addition or substitution of FEC affects the numbers.  If the outcome is that FEC allows QSFP+ form factor, then that seems to enable common forms between fiber and copper media, which to me look like a big advantage to the user and vendor, if not for near-term aggregation switch ports at least for future server and access switch ports.

I also request the same clarification as Jeff.  If you need assistance with cabling cost particulars, I can help.  I have been analyzing cabling costs in my efforts to add such analysis to the solution analyzer spreadsheet.  A reasonable assumption for the cost of SR4 cabling is ~40% of SR10 cabling cost.

Regards,

Paul