From: "Brad Booth" <Brad_Booth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, Jan 20, 2012 1:34 am
Subject: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] Agenda and Presentations
To: <STDS-802-3-100GNGOPTX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Chris,

I am concerned about your statements.

While I do understand the point you're making about bait-and-switch, it is not a good idea to overly presume a solution when setting the objectives and documenting the 5 criteria.

I'm sure that you'd agree that the objectives and criteria should be written such that a broad range of possible solutions can be presented to the task force (once formed), and for the task force to decide the solution that they feel best meets the objectives and the criteria. It would also be preferential to not create multiple solutions to satisfy the shorter SMF demand. Per all the information shown today, this is a small market and two solutions would be ineffective in satisfying broad market potential. Let's learn from 10G and try not to create LX4 and LRM solutions that no one uses today.

As a further reminder that the SG should not be pre-supposing a solution: the final 10GBASE-T solution that was selected by the task force was far different than what was under consideration during the study group phase of the project, but the PAR, 5 criteria and objectives were broad enough to enable the task force to make what they felt was the best decision.

Cheers,
Brad