[802.3_100GNGOPTX] PAM-N discussion in today's NG 100G OE SG

During this afternoon’s NG 100G OE SG meeting, a proposal for PAM-8 and PAM-16 modulation 100GE alternatives were presented.

http://www.ieee802.org/3/100GNGOPTX/public/jan12/bhoja_01_0112_NG100GOPTX.pdf

It appears that required silicon modulator speed as measured by rise and fall times is about 3 times faster than the fastest reported devices in the literature.

The PAM-8 and PAM-16 eyes when simulated with the speed reported by other companies (IBM, ALU, Fujikura, Intel, Luxtera) result in largely closed eyes.

We have submitted a post-deadline presentation showing ideal simulations where the ONLY optical device limitation is rise/fall time which is the simplest impairment to look at.

Because of the full schedule, we may not get the time to present it. The presentation is posted at the following ftp site and available for download for those interested:

site:                  ftp://ftp.finisar.com/

username:         ieee

password:         ieee8023

file name:            cole_03_0112_NG100GOPTX.pdf

Chris