From: Chris Bergey [mailto:cbergey@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 6:01 PM
To: STDS-802-3-100GNGOPTX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] PAM-N discussion in today's NG 100G OE SG

Chris

Your comments are noted and clearly the rise and fall times required for a PAM8 or PAM16 system would need to be greater than 20ns.  I would note that many of the papers you highlighted were focused on 10G NRZ systems for which a 20nS rise time would be quite sufficient and desired.  As a data point, I would point you to the Palkert 01_1111 presentation from Atlanta showing 4x28G transceiver eyes.  These eyes exhibited a rise and fall time <15ps and an ER>3dB, although we took out the measurement details out of the posted IEEE presentation we can provide them again.

Regards

Chris