Re: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] Minutes Uploaded - Forward Direction

Steve,

You have fully captured the difficult problem we face in trying to do
due diligence on competing proposals.

If we use completely sanitized solution A and solution B costs which
cannot be referenced to more generally available data, then we are back
to "liar's poker" or more generously to "he said, she said". In that
case, there is no way to challenge the cost assertions of proponents of
solution A or solution B.

If on the other hand we use more generally available data, so that there
is objectivity in the cost comparisons, not just unsubstantiated claims,
then this can always be traced to an actual dollar amount even if
through a tortuous path.

So the concern I raised about not being able to demonstrate 5 Criteria,
as further commented on by Brad, is genuine.

The solution we employed in 802.3ba is to use cost numbers averaged over
many suppliers and many variants. In practice there is a very wide
variability in the market around that baseline, and the specific average
number may not even exist. The information is equally available to
everyone so it does not confer an advantage on any party in the market.
Despite all this, it is obviously not as crisp as not using any
generally available relative cost data.

We are going to have to agree to some more useful guidelines than have
been given so far if we don't want to rely on ad hoc interpretations by
the chairs of every email or presentation.

Chris