From: Jeffery Maki [jmaki@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 05:17 PM Central Standard Time
To: Booth, Brad; STDS-802-3-100GNGOPTX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] SMF and MMF Ad Hoc meetings: MMF objective

Brad,

The CAUI or XLAUI electrical interface is a 802.3 standard that these AOC’s connect.  What more would we need to “standardize?”  AOC can go 100 meters or more physically.  It is market acceptance of such assemblies for longer runs that is the problem owing to installation difficulties.  We still need standards for transceivers (pluggable optics) but I think it is difficult to preclude the adoption of AOC that are based on whatever novel technology meets the need as in cost as things move along.  There are compliance points that a transceiver based link has to meet that an AOC can ignore.  Perhaps what should be looked at is easing the compliance points for Ethernet optics while keeping the link budget stable.

Jeff