Re: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] MMF Ad Hoc meeting, 8.30am (pacific) Thursday 29th November 2012

Title: RE: MMF Ad Hoc meeting, 8.30am (pacific) Thursday 29th November 2012

John,

You mentioned. ?7) In a optical link, assume bit errors are noise generated, independent and random. Further, since there will be no DFEs, error multiplication is not expected.?

Why reuse a RS FEC that was defined in Clause 91 with 10 bit symbols for the SR4/optical problem? The RS with a heavily shortened 10-bit symbols is meant for correcting burst errors out of the DFE.

A BCH code that corrects random errors is much more effective. BCH can give us a lower latency solution or alternatively higher coding gain for the same latency.

Thanks,

Sudeep