From: Arash Farhood [mailto:arash_farhood@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:14 AM
To: STDS-802-3-100GNGOPTX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [802.3_100GNGOPTX] Question on DMT draft

Hi Toshiki Tanaka,Tomoo Takahara,Masato Nishihara and rest of the Fujitsu folks,
  As Dan stated, the upcoming 802.3bm meeting will be busy. In the interest of saving time, I want to open this email trail to ask question reagrding the DMT drat and direct some of the discussion to the reflector. For now I am only asking one question and I may have more questions based on your answer.
  Table 96-2 seems to suggest a Low Latency BCH FEC that takes 1E-3 BERi to 1E-12 BERo. It also says 12.5% coding overhead. The draft does not define the term coding overhead but I think it means Party_size/Data_size. (100Gb/s with 66b/64b is 103.125Gb/s. With 12.5% coding overhead which is a code rate of 0.888888, you get 116.015Gb/s specified in table 96-9. I recommend that you add the details to draft).
  Using the proposed FEC, how much operating margin do you see for DMT system? When I go over you presentation below, it looks to me you are deisgning the FEC very close to the operating point. Generally the system needs some operating margin (for the PAM8 it is > 1dB) to gaurantee robust operation.

http://www.ieee802.org/3/bm/public/jan13/tanaka_01_0113_optx.pdf

 Regards,
Arash