Re: [802.3_100G-OPTX] 100G Lambda Study Group - Start Wed @ 8:30am. Waddington Conf room

Dear 100Gb/s 100 Gb/s per lane optical PHYs Study Group Participants,

After the conclusions of yesterday’s presentations, I had a conversation with Mark Nowell about some of the differences in perspective that come into play with respect to rate designations and rate counting.

Mark pointed out that to a System Vendor, what matters is the total port bandwidth, and how it’s partitioned is simply a configuration issue because switch ASICs behind the port support full range of MAC rates (with some limitations for the lower MAC rates). To a host card that has 32x QSFP-DD or OSFP slots, with a 12.8T switch ASIC behind it, the only count that matters is 32x 400G ports.

To a module vendor, the optical port rate because that’s what defines how the module is build. A 400GbE FR4 module is different than 2x200GbE FR4+ module, and from 4x100GbE module. With the use of high density LCs, this is becomes more important.

To a network architect all that matters is the MAC rate. Everything that is near and dear to our hearts is just one line on a network graph, and what matters about that line is the rate and supported radix.

As a result, the presentation discussing rates has been updated with a comment about perspective.

http://www.ieee802.org/3/100G_OPTX/public/Mar19/cole_optx_01c_0319.pdf#page=5

Going forward, when citing volume, we should be careful to describe what is meant by cited numbers; 1) total system port or total module bandwidth, i.e. xAUI bandwidth, or ) optical port rate or MAC rate. This way anyone looking at the numbers will know how it relates to what they are working on.

Thank you

Chris