Re: [802.3_100G-OPTX] [EXTERNAL]: RE: [802.3_100G-OPTX] 100G Lambda Study Group - Start Wed @ 8:30am. Waddington Conf room

John

You are identifying the key challenge.

The first step in solving the problem is to change break-out counting from informal conversations to formal reporting. This gets everyone to recognize the importance of making these numbers accurate.

The problem started with 40GbE SR4. There is an informal understanding that point-to-point vs. break and shuffle app. split is approx. 50/50. So every ten 40G SR4 modules should separately be also counted as 5x 40GbE and 20x 25GbE ports, with appropriate caveats.

The problem is actually going to get easier because of the transition of 4x break-out from MPO to high density LC, like SN from Senko or MDC from Corning, as currently in standardization in the QSFP-DD MSA.

400G DR4 will primarily be break-out, so these should be counted as 400G switch ports and modules, and 4x 100GbE optical ports. 2x200G FR4+ modules are 400G switch ports and modules, and 2x 200GbE optical ports.

400G SR8 is probably the toughest. It can be 8x 50GbE, 4x 100GbE, 2x 200GbE and 1x 400GbE. Initially it’s likely mostly 8x 50GbE.

Network guys, who are our customers, care about the network topology, which is defined by the GbE link rate. I have yet to see a network topology diagram where multiple GbE links in enclosed in a box to indicate that they are packaged on one physical module. The topology diagrams are nearly solid black with 64x or 128 x radix crisscross; they don’t need anymore boxes at the ends. As much as this looms important to us, it is irrelevant to the user. It’s just  plumbing.

Chris