RE: [10GBASE-T] Auto-Negotiation Support

Rich and David,

Study group is considering Auto-Negotiation for 10GBase-T. There is the
desire to support 10G/1G/100 with Auto-Negotiation.  There has been
discussions on how to achieve Auto-Negotiation.  The cost implication to
enhance Auto-Neg state machine to cover 10GBase-T will be negligable.

Nariman

At 11:34 AM 1/14/2003 -0600, Rich_Hernandez@dell.com wrote:

>But, what if is not just a stand alone NIC? I can see embedded applications
>that would require operation in low power modes. Why limit the applications?
>Is there a significant cost associated with the trade off of supporting
>auto-negotiation at 100/1000/10000 Mbps vs. 1000/10000 Mbps. If so, can
>someone clarify the cost implications?

Nariman Yousefi
Senior Director Networking Engineering

PH  (949) 585 5450