[8023-10GEPON] call for presentations for September meeting

Dear colleagues,

The date of our September meeting is approaching fast. I hope all have made
hotel reservations. If not, please visit
http://www.ieee802.org/3/interims/knoxville_1_0906.html for details and book
your hotel as soon as possible.

Now, about the meeting itself. At the July meeting we have decided that upon
approval of the 10GEPON task force, we will form two ad hoc groups:

The first one is to investigate simultaneous operation of existing 1G-EPON
and/or a 1550-1560nm video overlay, with 10G-EPON.

The second one is to investigate the development of physical layer spec to
accommodate split ratios of 64 and 128.

I expect people who expressed interest in these two activities will want to
present on related topics at the September meeting. During previous meetings
we had a chance to hear opinions focusing on requirements for such options.
To move this discussion forward, it would be interesting to hear about
possible solutions, tradeoffs, and technical challenges associated with
various proposals.

Other topics to discuss:

Downstream Wavelength
Upstream Wavelength
Power budgets
FEC: Optional or Mandatory
FEC Category: Stream-based vs. Frame-based

FEC has generated some discussion on and off the reflector - thanks to Frank
E. for initiating it and to Frank C. for hosting the call.

Other topics have not had much activity. Yet at the last meeting, many
people had strong opinions about these. For the group to make an intelligent
decision on either of these topics we need to hear technical arguments for
and against various proposals. Specifically, if you don't like any specific
proposal, please try to summarize your arguments in a presentation.

And finally, we still need tutorial presentations to get the entire group on
the same base level of understanding. Electronic dispersion compensation
(EDC), optical amplifier technologies, advanced FEC technologies and
tradeoffs are few that some members of 10GEPON SG have expressed interest in
hearing. If you consider yourself an expert in any of these topics, please,
consider making a presentation in September.

Finally, the deadline to submit a request for presentation time is
Wednesday, September 13th (US Pacific time) - 10 days from today.

Thank you and see you in Knoxville,
Glen