[8023-10GEPON] 10GEPON ad hoc on high split ratio

Dear all,

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank You all for agreeing to participate in this ad-hoc group.

We have right now in total 19 people involved in the ad-hoc.

1. Marek Hajduczenia, Siemens Networks S.A.
2. Wael William Diab, Broadcom
3. Piers Dawe, AvagoTech
4. David Li, Ligent Photonics, Inc.
5. Bin Yeong Yoon, Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI)
6. Tsutomu Tatasuta, NTT
7. Petre Popescu, Astar Original Design Silicon Manufacturer Inc.
8. Keiji Tanaka, KDDI labs
9. Glen Kramer, Teknovus Inc.
10. Mitsunobu Kimura, Hitachi Communication Technologies, Ltd.
11. Dongsoo Lee, Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI)
12. Haim Ben-Amram, PMC Sierra
13. Russell Davey, Optical Systems, BT
14. Frank Chang, Vitesse
15. Ken-Ichi Suzuki, NTT
16. Hiroshi Murata,
17. Akihiro Otaka, NTT Access Service Systems Labs
18. Silvia Pato, Siemens Networks S.A.
19. Ruben Luis, Siemens Networks S.A.

The main task of our ad-hoc - feasibility study for high split PON systems with 64 and 128 ports - has been divided into a number of sub tasks.

Also, please note a tentative allocation of participants to tasks. If you are unable to participate in the assigned task or would like to work on a different task, please let me know. Especially, if I tentatively selected you a task leader, please make sure to get in touch with me.

Feel free to email me with any suggestions for changes, additions etc. Here is the list of tasks:

Task 1:

"estimation of 1x64 and 1x128 port splitter power loss value, with respect to various manufacturing technologies"

1.1 - "estimate splitter loss for 1x128 and 1x64 devices"
1.2 - "evaluate the loss variations in varied stage systems - 2,3,4 etc stage systems - stacked splitters"

Participants:
Marek Hajduczenia (leader), Bin Yeong Yoon, Dongsoo Lee

Task 2:

"non-linear effects in fibre channel"

2.1 - "produce an overview of non-linear effects in the fibre channel and their impact on the transmission"

Comments:
almost complete - we already have a presentation, pending confirmation and revision

2.2 - "estimate the maximum launch power into fiber which can be achieved without introducing non-linear effects"

Participants for 2.1 and 2.2 :
Silvia Pato (leader), Ruben Luis, Wael William Diab, David Li

Task 3:

"TX/RX technology"

3.1 - "TX technology review with economic and technical feasibility of existing solutions"
3.2 - "maximum achievable launch power without amplification - economic and technical feasibility"
3.3 - "optical amplification in TX - postamplification - economic and technical feasibility"
3.4 - "RX technology review with economic and technical feasibility of existing solutions"
3.5 - "maximum achievable sensitivity without amplification - economic and technical feasibility"
3.6 - "optical amplification in RX - preamplification - economic and technical feasibility"

Participants:
Bin Yeong Yoon (leader), Dongsoo Lee, Haim Ben-Amram, Piers Dawe, Petre Popescu, Mitsunobu Kimura

Attention: each sub-element should have a summary outlining whether that technology is mainstream, or bleeding-edge research, whether it is economical for access environment, or not, etc

Task 4:

"power margins in the EPON systems"

4.1 - "Examine existing power budget margins in deployed EPON systems"
4.2 - "Power budget margins for 10GEPON systems - needs and requirements from the carrier point of view"

Participants:
Tsutomu Tatasuta (leader), Keiji Tanaka, Russell Davey

Task 5:

"preparation of presentation for IEEE 802.3av TF"

5.1 - "drafting presentation"
5.2 - "review & corrections"

Participants:
Marek Hajduczenia (leader), (???)

The timeline for the ad-hoc activities is as follows:

- submission deadline for presentation - Nov 8, 2006 - we do not want to submit post-time

- completion of slides - Nov 1, 2006 - I would like to recirculate the slides and give You some time for consideration, comments etc.

- start of preparation of the slides - Oct 30 - deadline for each task - I will need at least 1-2 days to compile the slides set.

Please note that Oct, 30, 2006 is a deadline for completion of each of the individual subtasks. What I would expect to receive from each subtask is a short presentation with the findings, data, comments, thoughts etc. Overall, the ad hoc should make a recommendation on the technical and economic feasibility of the high-split 10EPON and outline possible solutions.

Please, make sure to participate in a conference call next week to further discuss task assignments and exchange ideas on execution of individual tasks.

Please, respond with your available times for the conference call (see my previous e-mail).

Thank You once more for Your participation

Best wishes