[8023-10GEPON] [FEC superating] - Draft two of the presentation.

Everybody,

I have prepared a new draft.  This incorporates several comments received, and develops a conclusion piece that drives a result.

Just to review the idea of this effort:  This presentation was designed to lay out all the arguments, pro and con, for super- and sub-rating.

This way, an audience can be quickly brought up to speed, to facilitate their knowledgeable advice and consent.

I can say that this decision is basically a “judgment call,” with good reasons for both sides, and really will only be solved democratically.

As you will see in the final slide, the smaller 802.3av group has already indicated via straw poll that the sub-rating is preferred, unanimously, in fact.

So, I think the next step is to take this presentation to the wider 802.3 group, perhaps in the opening plenary of the next meeting.

Then, we can take their temperature with a straw poll, and see where we stand.

If they indicate general agreement, then the deal is done.

If there is trouble, then we will burn that bridge when we come to it.

Please comment.

Dr. Frank J. Effenberger

Huawei Technologies USA

1700 Alma Drive, Plano TX 75075

Office (732) 625 3002

Cell (908) 670 3889

p.s. Personal disclaimer: I perceive that folks might wonder about my personal position on this matter (that is, if you care!)  Originally, I was for super-rating, because of the stylistic ‘cleanliness is closer to Godliness’ argument.  But, in discussing this with various industrial sources, I get the feeling that the optics people are turned off by super-rating, and so the market cost argument will end up favoring the sub-rating, and cost is everything in access.  So, I changed my mind, and now favor sub-rating.

FECsuperatingV2.ppt