Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER BUDGET] resolving differences over PIN vs. APD

Dear Dr. Effenberger,

I cannot understand why you say that there exists unfairness between PIN
and APD sensitivities.  I believe both the RX sensitivities are quite
fair enough with regard to production feasibility.
No such arguments arise among vendors here, because they always think
about both receiver types seriously and check both budget tables.
If the RX-type will be once decided, all the vendors have to put the one
in production anyway, even though their RX preference is the other.

If you think that PIN-RX sensitivity in our vendor summary looks conservative,
same as Dr. Frank Chang thought that APD-RX looks so --- he pointed that out
at the last Geneva meeting ---, I understand somewhat both of your feelings,
considering such a tight Class B++ power budget.
But please understand the 10G transceiver production facts, for instance, XFPs.
It is not the laboratory experiments or single ROSA performance.
Vendors also have to spend a lot care for product deviations, especially
for ONU, to avoid yield which makes its cost jump up.
Besides, as it is the specification of ONU sensitivity, additional unknown
WDM filter loss onto the bare transceiver cannot be ignored, which Takizawa
always comments on his power budget presentation.
I once suggested that a slight change (0.5dB) for RX sensitivity, and got
a strong booing from all the vendors.
So, the vendors cannot change their RX sensitivities of both PINs and APDs
at moment.

Best regards,
Hiroshi Hamano

%% Frank Effenberger <feffenberger@HUAWEI.COM>
%% Re: [8023-10GEPON] [POWER BUDGET] resolving differences over PIN vs. APD
%% Sat, 7 Jul 2007 15:58:30 -0400