Re: [8023-10GEPON] Start-of-Packet Alignment in Fig 77-14

Glen and TF members hello,

I think the suggested change to 77-14  constitutes a substantive technical modification that would require serious investigation.    Specifically:

a) Delaying the frame in this way actually postpones the ONU turning the laser on:

        - in contrast the change made in Quebec (which this is modifying) changed/optimized MPCP in a way that did NOT impact the laser turn-on or leading IDLE behaviour

b) Moreover this change aims to ensure that /S/ is in the first column, but creates the result that /S/ can end up in either of 2 different 66b blocks

        - so it doesn't result in predictable ONU behaviour

So where the original /S/ scheme always eliminated wasted bytes and also provided predictablity to the OLT, this scheme gets occasional benefit to FEC block efficiency at the expense of ongoing delay in the laser turn-on time, with NO benefit to the OLT.    I can see how this might look similar to the previously-analyzed mechanism (and thus be attractive simply because it expands on the solution text to 77-14 from Quebec).

So the mechanism has a net-negative or mixed impact on system behaviour.  At this late stage such a change should NOT be incorporated into the draft.

Regards,

- Jeff Mandin