Re: [10GMMF] Connector offsets in Worst case model

Joerg,

I think something went wrong in your probability calculation: Let's try to reverse it. If the probability of one connector is having a offset larger than 7 um is 5% then the probability of this connector having less than 7 um offset is 95%. So the probability of 4 connectors all having an offset of 7um or below will be (95%)^4=81%. That is the probability that one or more of the 4 connectors has an offset larger than 7 um is 19%! So there is no reason for reducing the offset in the link calculation when you have more than 1 connector.

If you want the overall probability to be p=5% then for n connectors the probability Px of one or more connectors having an offset larger than x um is
Px=1-(1-p)^1/n giving:

n       Px      x (approx)
----------------------
1       5%      7 um
2       2.5%    7.8 um
3       1.7%    8.1 um
4       1.3%    8.2 um

Off cause this depends on what you consider to be the worst case scenario: one connector with a large offset and the others with less offset or all connectors having approximately the same offset. Perhaps both cases should be included in the calculations!

Best regards,

Jesper Hanberg

Senior Systems Engineer, M. Sc. Physics, Ph.D.
Intel Copenhagen ApS

Mileparken 22
DK2740  Skovlunde

Business:       +45 44 54 61 30