Re: [10GMMF] AW: [10GMMF] Connector offsets in Worst case model

Jens,

No, I mean that as links become increasingly difficult to make work, it is
essential to understand the characteristics of the components of those links
in greater detail. This is the natural time progression of optical science,
no?

One of the places where there is little to no data in on the actual
distributions of offset. From a distance, I cannot tell the degree of
sensitivity of the model to this parameter and make any kind of reasonable
engineering judgment about risk. In the past, I decided to let it rest,
knowing that we had sufficient fat in the model to make the risk minimal. As
best as I can tell, this decision has been justified (but, I may well not be
aware of the data that would indicate otherwise).

The committee is going to have to decide if this remains the case.

I would think that it would be fairly simple to set up a bench and grab a
random sample of cables and make 20 to 40 measurements. If a couple of
companies/labs did this with a couple of different suppliers, you would have
in a couple of days sufficient information to know if a more extensive
survey is required and also be able to bound the impact of the problem, if
there is one. It would be important to include samples from known, low-tech
"chop shops."

Consistent with statements made earlier, I believe that a large percentage
of cable infrastructures have more than two connectors.

One thing that everyone needs to be clear on is which connectors are being
counted. At times, discussions have presumed to exclude the connectors on
the PMDs. At times, these are included. This is ultimately a discussion of
what the model is intended to include and how does this relate to the
specifications at TP2 and TP3 (which usually includes a discussion about
what TP2 and TP3 really mean/are). I don't know if you have had these
discussions yet with regard to this specific issue.

jonathan