Re: [10GMMF] Loss of worst case test configuration

Joerg,
thanks for filling in the missing piece on 70/70 launch.  I note that the 70/70 launch always produces higher loss than David's steady state launch for a given transverse offset.   My steady state loss data agrees most closely with David's calculation, and is empirically collected using the mode power distribution at the end of a long fiber of a vintage of at least 10 years ago.

The differences between the 70/70 and the other steady state launch conditions lead me to ask you about what appears to be an inconsistency within fiber measurement standards regarding launch prescriptions.  The standards where such prescriptions can be found include TIA 455-50 (FOTP-50) and IEC-60793-1-40 appendix A.   FOTP-50 defines two launch methods. One is the 70/70 beam optics approach.  The other is the overfilled launch followed by mandrel wrap.   These are both described as creating steady state conditions that are roughly equivalent.  My question to you is whether there exist any means of analytically determining the mode power distribution caused by a particular mandrel wrap.    For example, the 62.5 um fiber prescription is 5 turns around a 20 mm diameter mandrel.  The 50 um prescription is 5 turns around a 25 mm mandrel.  In other words, is there a way to calculate the loss of high order mode energy due to a bend in the fiber and deduce the remaining guided mode power distribution so that one could plot the loss of a connection as a function of transverse offset?  There are discussions in IEC 86 that would benefit from this type of information.  Perhaps some of your colleagues are involved in them.

Regards,
Paul Kolesar
SYSTIMAX® SOLUTIONS
1300 East Lookout Drive
Richardson, TX 75082
Phone:  972.792.3155
Fax:      972.792.3111
eMail:   pkolesar@systimax.com

"Joerg-R. Kropp" <Joerg.Kropp@INFINEON.COM>
Sent by: owner-stds-802-3-10gmmf@listserv.ieee.org

08/31/2004 02:02 PM
Please respond to "IEEE 802.3aq 10GBASE-LRM"