Re: [10GMMF] TP3, 3.6dB ISI penalty criteria

This question Robert Lingle asks of why some fibers meeting the FDDI
spec of 500MHz.km were excluded from consideration from the sieve was
raised during Sudeep's presentation in Vancouver bhoja_1_0105.  I don't
think it is justified to exclude these fibers.  I agree with Robert that
we need to understand whether including these fibers affects the
results, but I worry about excluding them in any case because it sets a
precedent.

The rationale for considering this needs to be better documented.

The IEEE link model assumes a correlation between bandwidth and ISI
corresponding to a Gaussian pulse.  This is one of the few known
weaknesses of the link model (which is an extremely useful tool),
because pulse splitting due to intermodal dispersion can result in
non-Gaussian pulses. In the TIA OM3 specification development we treated
bandwidth and ISI separately with more detailed models to address this
issue.  The TIA modeling showed that the -3dB BW does not correlate with
ISI. This was also seen in the early 802.3aq modeling by Phyworks and
the two cases are summarized in a Portland presentation
abbott_2_0704.pdf slide 8 of 14.

 There has been discussion of simple alternate BW metrics which give a
better correlation with ISI -- the TIA OM3 work suggests using the 1.5dB
BW. I presented a paper at the NIST SOFM in Sept 2004 suggesting that
measuring the amplitude of the transfer function |H(f)| at a fixed
frequency f_bit approximately 1/2 the bit rate would would give an
improved correlation. I went over these ideas in my Portland
presentation abbott_3_0704.pdf

It was firmly established during the 1GbE development that the installed
base of MM fiber often showed significant pulse splitting particularly
with center launches.

The potential issue for the TP3 sieve is that these are exactly the
issues which EDC needs to address.

John A.