Re: [10GMMF] channel models based on measured DMD

Jonathan, I agree with Robert Lingle -- the measured DMD data from
1998-99 should be used to help anchor our LRM estimates. The mode
mixing/mode coupling question you raised is a small effect, and this
needs to established to the group's satisfaction. The analysis using DMD
data did not include the connectors used in the Gen67 work of John Ewen
& others, and these connectors themselves add significant mode mixing.
My suggestion would be compare the results based on DMD measurements to
the Gen67 results with connectors, and to modify the LRM estimates.

As Robert noted in his email, there is an error in his histogram plot
and the OFS data shows a gamma closer to 1.00 as I will describe in the
Corning data.

I will follow up with an upload to Piers with plots & graphics which
hopefully complement the text below.

SUMMARY

Let me emphasize that I agree some mode mixing does occur, I just don't
think it is significant enough to affect the results.  A number of
cutback studies have been done at Corning to look into this issue (see
below) and the most recent work concludes that gamma = 1.

I am using a set of about 5000 Corning fibers from 2nd half of 1999 to
estimate the length effects.  The median BWs at 2.2,4.4,6.6, and 8.8km
were 870, 910, 880, and 990 MHz.km respectively -- if one takes this at
face value gamma would be ~1.00 over the 2.2-6.6km range and 0.91 going
from 2.2 to 8.8km.  There are other factors in play and I would not
conclude that mode coupling is significant.

Starting in mid-1999 Corning began making RML BW measurements -- these
are non-OFL BW measurements with a fixed launch condition.  The two ones
used at Corning are the "23um RML launch" (see FOTP 204 Section 3.2.2 on
this RML launch) and a "4um RML" BW which is relevant to LRM estimates.
This is a 1300nm BW measurement using a single-mode fiber to generate
the spot and a 4um offset --- thus it is similar to the DMD launch with
a 4um offset. The median 4um RML BWs at 2.2, 4.4, 6.6, and 8.8km for the
5000 1999 fibers were 1005,1010,1014, and 1080MHz.km, again
corresponding to a "gamma" of ~1.00 in the 2.2-6.6km range and a gamma
of 0.95 going from 2.2 to 8.8. Again I think the higher average BW at
8.8km is due to other effects -- for example, the short lengths arise
disproportionately when there is a problem drawing the fiber or with the
first and last reels of a blank.  If one looks at the total distribution
the bottom 25-30% of the 2.2km 4um RML BWs overlays the 8.8km
distribution.

DETAILS

 (i) These are measurements on uncabled fibers on large measurement
spools, which minimizes mixing/coupling effects.
(ii) The measurement and analysis does not include connectors.   The
99%tile PIE-D levels of 5.1dB (Corning) and 5.2dB (OFS) should be
compared to the Gen67 analysis WITH connectors, which should address
part of the concerns.
(iii) The variation of the modal power distribution as polarization
changes or the fiber position shifts as been discussed in the LRM group;
this supports the idea that experimental measurements should supplement
the modeling to ensure we are not oversimplifying things.
 (iv) (slide 6 comments). Since mid-1999 Corning has routinely done RML
launch measurements on MM fiber; the 62.5um FDDI measurement includes an
SMF launch with a 4um offset discussed above.
(v) I mentioned in my Atlanta presentation in responding to a question
that gamma was approximately 1.00.  A Corning paper from 2001 LEOS for
reference is http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/abs_free.jsp?arNumber=969104

Petar mentioned the number 0.85 and Robert's note indicates their data
supports gamma in the range of .8 to 1.0.  The Corning LEOS paper
concludes that gamma = 1 should be used.  Since the 2.2,4.4,6.6km OFL BW
distributions overlap as discussed above this conclusion is supported
independently by the current data.   We also find a similar result for
the 4um offset launch BW.
The Corning BW vs length results will be summarized graphically.

(vi) (Slide 8 comments) I also found a square root dependence on slide 8
as did Jonathan, and was quite confused since nothing like this is seen
at Corning or in modern glass optical fiber to my knowledge.  I
eventually asked OFS to check that plot and they have confirmed that the
gamma = .8 to 1.0 number is correct and without the y-axis scale for
slide 8 one can't make use of the bar lengths (i.e. the bottom of the
histogram corresponds to a relatively high BW rather than zero MHz.km).
(vii) Jonathan raises a point about the size of the DMD data sets which
needs to be noted and addressed in more detail.  BWs are measured on
each FDDI fiber but not DMDs. However, the DMD data sets are large
enough for our purpose and I think the OFS one is the same data set used
in setting up the Gen67 Monte Carlo set.  This also needs a table in a
*.ppt slide for clarity.
        Jonathan's point that the entire installed base is larger than
these data sets is true.  These 98-99 data sets and the Gen67 Monte
Carlo set hopefully accurately reflect a portion of the installed base.
The earlier fiber with large center perturbations is under-represented,
as well as fiber from other manufacturers not participating in
IEEE/TIA/IEC work.  We see center perturbations in current fiber from
some manufacturers.
        The argument that gamma ~1.0 is consistent with how the Gen67
Monte Carlo mode delay set was constructed to agree with OFL BW data,
which is simply long length measurement data from the manufacturers.
Jonathan might raise the point, which would be consistent with his
concern about mode mixing, that the mode delays in the Gen67 data set
should be slightly expanded to account for a conversion from 5000m to
300m data, using a gamma of .95 for example (these specific numbers
would scale the mode delays by a factor of about 1.15x).  Corning has
the consistent position that the Gen67 data set should be benchmarked
against OFL BW data using a gamma of 1.00, and that the measured DMD
data should be used to fine-tune the LRM estimates.