From: owner-stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-hssg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Rich
Taborek
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 1999 10:28 PM
To: Gerhold, Mark; Drew Perkins
Cc: HSSG_reflector
Subject: Re: Interframe gap

Mark,

I don't believe that Drew was suggesting deleting the IPG. Instead, I'm
assuming that what is being proposed is a mapping of Ethernet to OC192
and STM64 whereby IPG exists on the Ethernet side, but not the OC192 and
STM64 side. The bridge between the two would delete/regenerate the IPG
as appropriate.

Assuming that my interpretation above is true, I could think of a few
related issues in consideration of 1000BASE-X protocol. (Note that there
may be other similar issues with 1000BASE-T, I just don't know that
protocol well enough):

1) During 1 GbE Auto-Negotiation/Link Startup, the IPG as well as all
Ethernet Packets are replaced by Configuration words. The bridge could
handle this by operating as a link end, effectively responding as a
remote AN device on the Ethernet side and following OC192 and STM64
initialization procedures on that side.

2) The IPG may carry other link information when link status is OK and
Ethernet Packets are allowed to flow (AN is complete). This one is a
stretch: Architecturally, part of the End-of-Packet Delimiter (EPD) is
considered to be part of the IPG. The bridge has to be careful here. The
other is that VOID code-groups may replace normal IPG code groups. This
one is probably a don't care for bridging and VOID can be treated as
standard IPG. However, there is a boundary case when the VOID replaces
the Start-of-Packet Delimiter, which concludes IPG.

Hopefully I didn't do off on a tangent that will start another reflector
thread... to go off onto other tangents... to...

--

--

Best Regards,
Rich

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx