Re: CRC check indication of bad fiber

>Mike Salzman wrote:
>
>Hi, I am treading on thin ice here, but I think that you may not be off
>the hook yet.  The CRC is designed to detect up to (from memory...) 3
>bit errors in a packet.
>
>I suppose that if a robust scrambler let through a packet that had more
>than 3 bits scrambled it is conceivable that the CRC might not detect
>it.
>
>In the days of the 1Gig session, Howie Johnson went through an elaborate
>proof to show that the underlying code would catch any such escape
>condition.  However, that was a block code with a strong inherent
>protection of multibit errors.

Mike,

I think the underlying proof of Howie's you're referring to has to do
with PCS coding error robustness. This was based on the use of 8B/10B
coding, and the selection of specific data and special code-group
combinations which would greatly reduce the probability that  some
combination of errors would result in an undetected (data integrity)
error. The latter error bypassing detection by either 8B/10B and CRC. I
have Howie's proof only as an email. I'll enclose it below FYI.

The CRC used for GbE is able to detect

- all single and double-bit errors
- all odd numbers of errors
- all burst errors less than or equal to the degree of the polynomial
used
- most burst errors greater than the degree of the polynomial used

The key to 1000BASE-X error robustness is that the PCS efficiently maps
8B/10B code-groups with knowledge of the limitations of CRC-32 in a
fashion which reduces the probability of these limitations. Howie did a
fantastic job!

Once again, I'm advocating that we carefully consider the ramifications
of changing to an alternate coding scheme, including scrambling. All
layers of a system need to be considered as a system is only as strong
as its weakest link.
I don't intend to imply that SONET is weaker or stronger than 1000BASE-X
in terms of error robustness. However, I do imply that any change in
coding techniques must be carefully considered.

CRC codes have been used for years to detect data errors on interfaces,
and their operation and capabilities are well understood. Two codes that
have found wide use are CRC–16 and CRC–32. As the names imply, CRC–16
makes use of a 16-bit LFSR, while CRC–32 uses a 32-bit LFSR.

Best Regards,
Rich

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx