Re: more on : IEEE 802.3 Requirements

Hi Lisa,

You may be shorting yourself a bit. Aside from effects such as DMD,
which can drastically reduce maximum link distance, and very poor laser
launch into MMF, a 500 MHz*km fiber should be able to support distances
of:

a) 500 MHz*km/1.5625 MHz = 320 m @ 3.125 GBaud 8B/10B encoded
b) 500 MHz*km/1.25 Mhz = 400 m @ 2.5 GBaud unencoded/scrambled

Note that Baud/2 = max carrier frequency for On-Off-Keying/PAM2
signaling.

These are conservative estimates since the bandwidth-distance product of
a fiber is generally a conservative estimate of the performance of a
fiber.

Is there any other effect of mixing more than one wavelength that
reduces the maximum effective link distance your 300 m figure, or am I
just reading too much into your conservative estimate.

--

--

Best Regards,
Rich

Richard Taborek Sr.    Tel: 650 210 8800 x101 or 408 370 9233
Principal Architect         Fax: 650 940 1898 or 408 374 3645
Transcendata, Inc.           Email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
1029 Corporation Way              http://www.transcendata.com
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4305    Alt email: rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxxxx