RE: Leveraging OC-192c

The standard says that the MAC transmits.  However, most implementations
have the clock rate determined by the PHY/PMD.

In the CSMA/CD case, the precise relationship of the timings is
very important.  In the full duplex link case, with no CS, no MA and no CD,
fewer of the timings are as important.

In the simpler case now being addressed, the actual signalling clock rate
has to be close enough at the two ends to transfer information.  The
IFG has to be enough to take care of clock tolerancing and system overheads.
The PAUSE time should have an agreed upon interpretation.  I see the
possibility of decoupling the first clock rate from the tick size used
in the latter two timers.  I previously mentioned the possibility of
expressing those timers at 10Gb/s ticks, independent of the signalling
rate used on the link itself.

Given a common signalling rate, another agreement between the two
ends of course has to be the packet format and framing.  There will be
tradeoffs here of signalling speed, throughput and complexity, which
we should not overlook during these exchanges about the advantages
of using OC-192 regenerator equipment.

-hwc