Re: Data rate standards vs internal switching standards

Ariel,

In a fixed, constant signal encoding system, the IPG will be variable.
That is not the issue. The individual frames will be mapped into the
constant encoded signal.  As for the IPG it is more a matter of what
the minimum IPG is.

Over the years, I have seen many installations that attempted to
aggregate more traffic over a given link than the link could properly
handle, with loss of data. Active flow control addressed this as a far
end resource issue. Active flow control does not however address this
from an internal output resource issue. Variable IPG does not resolve
this issue.  Without some sort of transfer rate flow control, from the
PHY to the MAC, to the internal switch functions, data will be lost
at the MAC to PHY interface.  The simplest solution is to have the
MAC and the PHY at the same rate. This is the issue that I have.

Perhaps another question to ask is; would the existing active flow
control be limiting at the far end PHY transfer rate, or at the far
end MAC transfer rate. If far end flow control was acting at the far
end PHY transfer rate, it would resolve all of these issues. If it
will only operate at the far end MAC rate, there is still not a good
solution for a variable transfer rate between the MAC and internal
switch functions and the PHY.  Even with a far end PHY transfer rate
flow control, there is the issue of distance induce latency in the
control process.

I don't have a good solution to this issue.  I have seen several people
recognize that there is an issue.  I have not seen an effective solution
that goes beyond the PHY to MAC interface.  I am not sure that there
needs to be one.  Unless I missed it, I have not seen anyone address
this from an over all architectural process view.

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom