RE: Deconstructing OAM&P

One of the things that is not be accounted for is that much of SDH/SONET's
OAM&P information is carried as serial bits inside the transport overhead
bytes. These bytes are either in use by OAM&P or are "silent". Not running
SDH/SONET OAM&P doesn't get you back any bandwidth. It's also completely
independent of the stream being transported. If a OC192 links is 100%
congested carrying Ethernet frames, the OAM&P functions will still operate
perfectly. Although accounted for in the bandwidth, this stuff is really
"out of band" as far as the payload is concerned.

Now, I think all of this is largely irrelevant. As far as I can see, what's
being debated here is using SDH/SONET engineering to achieve long distances.
What we're really describing is the use of SDH/SONET "repeaters" because
these already exist. If, instead we intend 10GBE to run as a service over a
telco's OC192 infrastructure, then just translate (L2 bridge) at the ends
and let the Telco use SDH/SONET management tools to run their
infrastructure, If on the other hand, we want to "pinch" chipsets and
hardware to make 10GBE go the distance without re-inventing the wheel, then
don't bother implementing SDH/SONET's bells and whistles...

This is really not an Ethernet issue, but a Telco standards issue. I'd avoid
it like the plague.

Andy Leigh
Senior Planning Engineer, Strategic Network Developments, New Technology
Tel:	+44 (0)171 765 0575
Fax:	+44 (0)171 765 0557
Pager:	01893 323488