Re: AW: Deconstructing OAM&P

Ed,

Given the massive increase in the Internet and enterprise WAN/MAN data volume, one of
the first places that will see major deployment of 10GbE will be in the WAN/MAN.
Given a hierarchy of bandwidth implementation, 10GbE will be at the top of the chain,
which is not the desktop today.  Since the massive number of computer systems can not
properly utilize GbE, why would there be a major deployment of 10GbE there?  As a
data switch interconnect, 10GbE will increase the size of the pipe available between
switches, but will it increase the ability of servers to handle larger broadcast
domains supportable by the higher bandwidth interconnect?  Where exactly is the 90%
of the initial implementation of 10GbE that you are referring to?

Thank you,
Roy Bynum
MCI WorldCom