Re: Please help to clarify some things!

Roy,

Thank you for your reply. I think it shows the difference between what an
Ethernet person expects in the standard and what a real world installation
may be.

I purposely simplify the first drawing. Since the effect of a cable splicing
plan should be limited to a loss in power, nothing more. The protocol layer
does not see it. And the phy specification allows for such a lost.

I am trying to quantify the amount of build in support needed from HSSG-MAC
on your perceived application. So far I can see the following issues:

    1.    Bit Error Rate too high
    2.    Cable fault
    3.    Active Component failure

Since I am not a telecom person. Could you help to explain how do you
perceive a actual implementation is different from my third drawing. And any
other error you perceived will happen in a real installation other than the
3 mentioned above? I hope a picture of how it is done can help me and the
others to make a better judgement on what is needed on OAM&P.

If you want to, you may consider faxing me a sketch and I will put it in PDF
format to replace my third drawing with the proper terminology.

regards,

Henry Ngai