Re: Please help to clarify some things!

Ed,

Thanks for the info. I believe what you have said is what I have been
looking for. A good definition of a path between L.A. and N.Y.

I also noticed a mentioning of the need for tight timing. I agree with you
100% that for the synchronous traffic such as voice calls, it is absolutely
necessary in the traditional sense. However, when we talk about Ethernet,
that may not be true.

The Ethernet model requires that each and every repeater have their own
local clock, which is not adjusted or synchronized with a central clock. So
any variation in length of the fiber between day and night should have no
effect on Ethernet. Ethernet is a packet based protocol, unlike a cell based
one, there is no synchonization requirements between packets on when they
can start or stop.

I am trying to find out more on why we must have some of the features in
SONET, and what I can use which is already in the data com world.

So far, I have the conclusion that:

1. Failure of link between signal repeaters can be detected by link status,
and remote link status info.

2. Failure of link can be recovered by bridging, or some form of link
aggregation protocol.

3. A signal repeater is actually intelligent, so it cost will be very
similar to a bridge. (Here I assume that signal repeaters have some
intelligence to monitor the health of links connected. And there is
reporting mechanism build into the repeaters. Correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks!)

4. Use a bridge to replace a singnal repeater. Since the bridge is really
acting as a repeater along the path, minimal buffering may be required.
Reducing the cost of a bridge implementation.

5. The path, which we will call route here, can be managed by routers.

6. If all the fibers between to adjacent bridge is broken, Link state
protocol can help to recover total link failure between two routers which
are connected using bridges. Here the bridge can force link failure to the
uplink. Again, the mechanism is there.

7. Unless a link is 100% utilized, Slacks in the packet stream can be used
to send out any buffered data in the routers.

8. Difference between routing and bridging costs is rapidly narrowing.
Making it possible to use layer 3 switch to replace bridges.

9. More fibers are dark rather than lit in the installed base. Thus lighting
them with a less expensive approach may be better off than staying with
conventional SONET approach. (This is a guess, please correct me if I am
wrong.)

I hope these conclusions of mind can be used to help people like myself who
does not know enough about WAN but would still like to be able to serve that
market. Or at least as a base to start discussing why we need certain
features currently in SONET but not in Ethernet.

Really appreciate your reply.

Henry Ngai