Re: XAUI, SFF connectors

Chris,

XAUI history:

Early 10 GbE work even predating the March 1999 Call for Interest
focused on looking at solutions for carrying 10 Gbps of data across PCB
traces as well as the media. 10 Gbps serial was difficult and expensive
for both. Other techniques such as parallel lanes and multi-level
signaling were proposed as early as the Call for Interest. Many
proposals focused on 4-lane solutions, bringing the data rate
requirements down to 2.5 Gbps per lane. This was deemed reasonable for
the timing of 10 Gbps product availability.

A group of folks from 802.3, T11 (Fibre Channel) and InfiniBand met
starting in the summer of 1999 to further develop 4-lane logic
architecture which could meet the needs of PCB trace transport as well
as skew, initialization, etc. requirements of 4-lane physical variants.
One strong desire was to do it the same way for all three
standard/industry efforts. By November, 1999, the Hari group had general
agreement that its goals could be met and the contributing individuals
went back to their own organizations to promote a common Hari.

The 802.3 HSSG later renamed Hari to XAUI.

So the real answer to your question is (d). 10 Gbps is too
difficult/costly with current technology, 2.5 Gbps is workable. (a) and
(b) are benefits, not objectives of XAUI.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Chris Simoneaux wrote:

> Maybe someone can help me understand this....
>
> Was XAUI initially driven by:
>         a. IC vendors as an effort to reduce the number of leads on the
> chips?
>         b. PC board vendors to reduce the number, and complexity of traces
> on a board
>         c. OEMs for the reasons a. and/or b.
>         d. Other?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com