1300 nm VCSELs

Folks,

In order to rekindle discussion regarding PMDs I offer the following
http://www.novacrystals.com/about_us_press_press_08012000.html

As an end user, I had taken the position that only a short wave VCSEL
based PMD could be the lowest cost and thus included in the set of PMDs
that go into the first draft of the standard.  At the plenary I had
heard discussion of 1300 nm VCSELs but told the shipping dates of such
components could be from several months to years away.  Essentially, to
summarize what I as  well as other end users have said on the reflector,
we want "cheap and simple" interfaces for the short reach application
space with simple meaning no mode conditioners and, some would argue,
serial rather than CWDM or WWDM.  Since the Novacrystals VCSEL has a
bandwidth of 2.5 Gbps, its clear this would mean it would have to be
used as some kind of WWDM PMD. I'd like to know if anyone has actually
demonstrated the feasibility of such a PMD or if anyone is planning to
present technical information regarding 1300 nm VCSEL based PMDs at the
interim.  Please forgive me if this has been discussed previously.

Regards,

Mike

--
Mike Bennett