Re: XGMII Clocks

Hi Howard,

At these speeds I think it should be almost mandatory to use a
differential clock  (a differntial clock is slightly different
than a 2-phase clock).  The differential input will allow
at least the reference input to be immune from power supply
induced threshold variation.  Because the parallel outputs are
all single-ended, when they switch (with different data patterns)
there will be differing amounts of internal power and ground
shifting that occur.

Without a differential clock, your setup/hold window changes
not only with respect to power supply noise and board-level
crosstalk, but also with respect to the phase of the recovered
data relative to the transition of the clock input.  As an example,
if the recoverd-data parallel-outputs change at the same time that
the clock input changes, there will be more timing variability
than when the recoverd-data parallel-outputs change when the
clock is stable.

Differntial clocks have been used for many years in precision clock
and high-speed signaling.  I strongly support your suggestion, but
with the provision that this be a differential clock input rather
than just a two-phase input.

Regards,

Ed Grivna
Cypress Semiconductor