Re: XGMII Clocks

Jonathan,

I believe that when Sanjeev says "layer that attaches to XGMII" he means
the "XGMII interface logic". Using the example of XAUI/XGXS, the purpose
of the XGXS is to define the "XAUI interface logic". It is true that the
XAUI interface logic is significantly more complex that that of the
XGMII.

The intended purpose of Sanjeev's response is to suggest a way to reduce
XGMII clock jitter, regardless of whether the XGMII clock is
single-ended or differential and DDR or standard rate (2X DDR). The
specific method is to perform precise phase positioning in much the same
way that the XGXS's clock recovery function does. In this case, you're
adding clock recovery to the XGMII. I believe that XGMII clock recovery
is implementation dependent and not a standards issue.

Best Regards,
Rich

--

Jonathan Thatcher wrote:

> Sanjeev,
>
> > I do not think this is specific to XGXS layer.
> > It applies (or can be applied) to any
> > layer that attaches to XGMII.
>
> You mean like the RS or the MAC layer???
>
> I know, you mean any layer below the XGMII layer. But, I interpret: "has a
> high-rate clock it can divide down to get precise phase positioning of the
> sample point" to mean that any layer below the XGMII MUST HAVE a high-rate
> clock it can divide down....
>
> Is this a reasonable requirement? I can think of implementations where there
> might be a chip between the XGMII interface and the chip that has a PLL.
> Should these be excluded?
>
> jonathan

Richard Taborek Sr.                 Phone: 408-845-6102
Chief Technology Officer             Cell: 408-832-3957
nSerial Corporation                   Fax: 408-845-6114
2500-5 Augustine Dr.        mailto:rtaborek@xxxxxxxxxxx
Santa Clara, CA 95054            http://www.nSerial.com